#LoveNotWar: The Happy Song With a Tragic Background

I grew up listening to Lobo, The Bee Gees, ABBA but also Asian pop from Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong in the 1970's and 80's. But I haven't quite paid attention to this song until perhaps the late 1990's, but it was not because English band Toploader made a cover that become a huge worldwide hit in the new millennium. (apparently also achieving multiple platinum in the UK in 2000). I'm quite sure the first version I've heard was by King Harvest, not Toploader. It was playing on the radio in the 80's and 90's, but just not as prevalent as The Bee Gees. 

I can't recall why it hasn't been on my playlist before but perhaps I have been more focused on English and European pop music for the most part - Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Erasure, New Order, Camouflage, and the likes; and the European rave culture in the early 90's. It did become part of my all-time playlists ever since.

"Dancing in the Moonlight" was originally recorded by King Harvest and became a huge hit in the 1970's. and continues to be popular to this time and day. It was written in the 1960's by DC-born Sherman Kelly who was playing in bands mostly with his Cornell mates. The song gives a certain nostalgically happy vibe, both the melody and lyrics. Who would have thought the song was written after a tragic experience by the author ?

As we move into the Internet-era, I chanced upon an interview with Kelly to learn about how the song was written. Today, you can also find a summarized story on his website www.shermankelly.com and I quote:

On a trip to St. Croix in 1969, I was the first victim of a vicious St. Croix gang who eventually murdered 8 American tourists. At that time, I suffered multiple facial fractures and wounds and was left for dead. While I was recovering, I wrote "Dancin In The Moonlight" in which I envisioned an alternate reality, the dream of a peaceful and joyful celebration of life. The song became a huge hit and was recorded by many musicians worldwide. "Dancin In The Moonlight" continues to be popular to this day.

Some of the details revealed in the interview was much worse, I shall leave it as that. But the alternate reality was a dream which anyone of us would have wished for. Especially in view of the chaotic world today, in the midst of the pandemic as well as war and unrests in Ukraine, Syria, Myanmar and many other parts of the world.

Of late, I've recorded a cover of this song, largely the King Harvest version, but have blended in some of the rhythmic chords from Toploader. I arranged and played all the instruments - vocals, back vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards and drums. 


I hope you will like it and wish for peace, health and happiness to all and everybody dancing in the moonlight. 🎶


Comments