ENJOY THE SILENCE / Depeche Mode Cover by Piano & Whisky

デペッシュモードの「ENJOY THE SILENCE」ピアノとアコギカバーを弾いて歌ってみた 🎹🎸🎙

I tried uploading a cover of this song to Instagram but was blocked because it thinks that it is a recording owned by UMG. Go figure. 😳 🈲 I searched and there was tons of clips of original recordings posted by fans on Instagram, but this was not. 

YouTube was smarter in correctly identifying my video as a cover, using "a melody of Enjoy The Silence". It allowed the video to be published but no monetization to be allowed, which is perfectly fine. I don't make music for a living nor do I sell my covers. 

I respect the hard work of composers and bands making original music (and their publishers), and they rightfully own all rights to the songs especially distribution and sale of original recordings and videos. But outright blocking of fan covers is silly and authoritarian. I sing and play all the instruments, mix them, and share them as I did in the old days performing for my friends. Would record companies go to schools and community to ban people from singing ?

So anyway, "ENJOY THE SILENCE" was part of my second favorite Depeche Mode album, "VIOLATOR". The increase use of guitar sounds was more apparent, with its now most iconic guitar riff. There was also, "PERSONAL JESUS", the first single from the album, that has attracted tons of covers from blues and rock artists that otherwise would not have been in any way connected to "new wave" synthesizer music in the 80's. 



As the story goes, Martin Gore originally intend to record a quiet version with only an organ - somewhat "Little 15" or "Waiting For The Night To Fall"-ish. Flood and Alan Wilder decided a dance version suits the album better and it became an instant second hit song of the album.

I made a simple piano arrangement and sang to it, then added guitar parts after.




Comments